While driving is never a completely safe activity, in the wintertime the dangers increase exponentially. Poor weather conditions hinder visibility, snow and sleet make roadways slippery and difficult to navigate, and distractions run high as drivers focus on defogging the windows while navigating roadways. In today’s blog, we offer some advice on safe driving techniques that can help you avoid an accident. Learn more, below.
Posts Tagged ‘ maryland accident attorney ’
You are required to have liability insurance for your vehicle in Maryland; presently the minimum limit of coverage is $30,000.00. In fact, most car dealerships will not sell a vehicle to you if you do not have proof of insurance. So one has to ask – how do people get away with being uninsured? Those that cannot afford insurance will either get insurance long enough to register their vehicle and then drop the company or claim that they are not driving their vehicle at all and have it insured for a couple of dollars a month as a sitting vehicle or get cancelled by the company, or misrepresent the situation to the MVA in order to obtain tags. You have a couple of options if an uninsured or underinsured driver strikes and injures you.
Tips for Handling an Accident with an Uninsured Driver in Maryland
- Get coverage. Insurance policies sold in Maryland will always have a UM or UIM coverage associated with any policy that your purchase. If you do not buy the minimum coverage, however, there is not much that you can do so it is important to carry auto insurance not only to protect others but to protect yourself as well as to operate within the bounds of the law. Insurance companies will still try to low ball your accident recovery in the event of an accident. Even if you are only slightly at fault, your insurance company will fight you tooth and nail in order to limit or deny payment. It can be a long, hard road after an accident if the other party is uninsured or underinsured.
- Take it to court. First, remember that if the party that you are going after does not have insurance, they likely are not going to have the money to pay you for the damages that they inflicted upon you or your vehicle. That being said, the way that you are most likely to receive compensation is to take your case to court. You will need a effective and aggressive car accident attorney to help you recover what you legally and equitably deserve. If the court determines that you are at fault in any way, though, you are not going to recover in Maryland so it is important to retain experienced counsel for advice. For example, in most states if you are considered to be 10% at fault, you will only collect 90% of the recovery money. However, Maryland is one of the few states left that will completely deny recovery if you are 1% at fault for your accident.
Retaining an Accident Attorney in Maryland
Make sure that you seek aggressive counsel and that you and your accident attorney are on the same page regarding your wants and needs in an accident. At Bruce Robinson & Associates we are not afraid to take the fight to court because we know insurance companies are only out for themselves and do not care about the injured parties; they are only interested in their dollars and cents bottom line.
Your consultation with our lawyers is free and if we can help you, your case will be handled on a contingency fee basis, which means no out of pocket expense or cost to you. For a free consultation with our car accident lawyers, contact Robinson & Associates at 410.415.3841 or click www.marylandaccidentattorney.com today for your free consultation. We look forward to helping you.
Source: Accident Law
Have you ever searched the term “Baltimore accident attorney” in Google? You will pull up a couple million results of attorneys that profess to win nearly every case and encouraged that you will come out triumphant. A good and ethical attorney will never guarantee you anything, but they will absolutely work with you for the best outcome. When searching for a Maryland accident attorney, you need to be sure that you do your homework and find out everything you can about the firm that will be representing you before you decide to take them with you into the courtroom. If, by chance, you do retain an attorney that you do not click with, you can always make the switch to someone who listens to what you want and works closely with you. In that case, the two attorneys involved in your case will usually work together to split the lawyer fees in some fashion, meaning you will not have to part with any additional money. Letting your old accident lawyer go should not be a difficult process as new counsel can often assist in getting that done. That being said, we have some tips to help you find the right Baltimore accident attorney the first time!
Tips for Finding a Good Accident Attorney
- Find an attorney that focuses on accident cases. Your lawyer may focus their practice in more than one thing, but you want to find an attorney who is aggressive and trained in accident law. You want to choose someone who knows how to handle insurance companies and knows how best to work up your case for maximum recovery either by settlement or trial. To that end, make sure you retain a personal injury firm that is not afraid to take your case to trial. Some lawyers/firms are hesitant to take a case to trial for whatever reason and this will effect your ability to achieve maximum recovery.
- Talk to your friends and family. Word of mouth can be biased, but sometimes you need that bias. If your friends and family have had similar cases to yours and have worked with a lawyer who secured a good outcome, it can’t hurt to at least have a conversation with that attorney. You know he or she has the experience.
- Check your local bar association – Bar associations can help you find local attorneys who specialize in certain fields. They can give you a starting point, if nothing else. You will need to sift through a few lawyers and make sure that you sit down and have a conversation with them before you decide to retain their counsel. Different lawyers may click better or give you a different feeling about your case. Some are far more customer oriented then others, this is important when you desire to speak with your lawyer about your case.
Maryland Accident Attorney
The first conversation that you have with any attorney should be free. You both need a chance to get to know each other and discuss the case to make sure that you have the same goals in mind. If you have been involved in an accident, a good car accident lawyer can make all the difference when it comes to getting a fair insurance recovery. Make sure that you seek aggressive counsel and that you and your accident attorney are on the same page. At Robinson & Associates we prefer the fight because we know insurance companies are only out for themselves and do not care about the injured party, not in the least. It is all about dollars and cents to them. Our consultation on your case is free and if we can help you, your case will be handled on a contingency fee basis, which means no out of pocket expense or cost to you. For a free consultation with our car accident lawyers, contact Robinson & Associates at 410.415.3841 or click www.marylandaccidentattorney.com today for your free and confidential consultation. We look forward to helping you.
Source: Legal Careers
Insurance companies will attempt to lowball you 100 percent of the time. They will argue with you and tell you that you are getting the best compensation for your accident; this is almost never the case. Insurance companies are businesses that have no interest in parting with their money, even if it is for a good reason. If you or your vehicle has suffered injury/damage and you believe that you are being lowballed by the insurance company, there are things that you can (and should) do about it. You deserve fair and appropriate compensation for what you have been through, but should not expect an insurance company to do the right or honorable thing.
Tips for Avoiding Being Lowballed
- Do not let an insurance company delay the process. They will try because they believe that if they delay your claim, you will either give up entirely on the claim or that you will miss the deadline to file a lawsuit against the insurance company. Alternatively, they believe they can just tire you out to the point where you do not wish to fight anymore and will just take whatever money is being offered. This actually happens a lot of the time, and they know it works, so their goal becomes delay and delay the claim until the injured party blinks and takes the paltry sum being offered. Insurance companies usually start to employ this tactic after you have denied their original lowball offer, which brings us to our next point.
- Do not accept the first offer. The first offer will be a lowball offer and will come quickly to avoid giving you time to figure out if there are any more medical expenses or lost wages as a result of the accident. Look carefully at the offer and make sure that it is fair, which in almost every case it will not be. Insurance companies desire to “negotiate” in every case, so their first offer is always a lowball offer. The problem is, sometimes the offer is so low that it isn’t even in the right ball park and if that is the case, they are telling you that they will not be fair in your case under any circumstance without going to court first. I can’t tell you how many times we have had adjusters tell us how much they think a claim is worth only for us to prove them substantially wrong when we get exponentially more money in court. Be aware of their tactics and do not feel forced into any settlement. Judges and juries will generally be fair in their appraisal of your injury and damages where insurance adjusters are paid not to be.
- Seek an accident attorney to help you fight the insurance company. Sometimes the only way to get an insurance company to play fair is to put up a good fight. Some attorneys will insist on settling early on to avoid going to court and dealing with the whole process. You want to find an attorney who will work with you and isn’t afraid of going to court to make sure that you get fair compensation. A good, aggressive lawyer will fight for you and force the insurance company to give you what you deserve.
Finding a Maryland Accident Attorney
A good accident attorney can make all the difference when it comes to getting a fair insurance settlement. Make sure that you seek aggressive counsel and that you and your accident attorney are on the same page. At Robinson & Associates we prefer the fight because we know insurance companies are only out for themselves. If you do not want to settle your case, you do not have to. Advise your lawyer what you want and if they do not agree, then feel free to seek a second opinion from a different lawyer. Our consultation is free and if we can help you, it will be handled on a contingency fee basis, which means no out of pocket expense or cost to you. For a free consultation with our car accident lawyers, contact Robinson & Associates at 410.415.3841 or click www.birthinjurymedicalmalpractice.com today for your free consultation. We look forward to helping you.
Source: Abraham Watkins
Driving under the influence causes drivers to do all kinds of things that they would not normally do – for instance, crashing directly into a brick building. 20-year-old Robert Damon Bernhard allegedly was under the influence of alcohol when he crashed his car into the Mayo Office Building in Anne Arundel County at around 2 AM this morning. Officers reported to the scene, where Bernhard was nowhere to be found shortly after the accident. He did return to the scene after a short period of time. Officers observed that Bernhard’s speech was slurred and that there was “the odor of an alcohol emanating from his breath.” Bernhard did not pass his field sobriety test, but there is currently no information about what his BAC was at the time of his arrest.
What do His Charges Mean?
Bernhard has been charged with DUI as well as failure to remain at the scene of a property damage accident. Leaving after he drove his car directly into a building was dubious on Bernhard’s part, especially since he left his vehicle at the scene of the crime and was going to have to be identified. However, by leaving the scene and returning, there are two arguments he can make to defend himself. First, when was the alcohol consumed that he is charged with. Since he left and came back, the state may not be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt when the alcohol was consumed in reference to the driving issue. He will say that he left, had something to drink, and then returned because he was so shaken up. The second argument, perhaps less strong, is that he returned to the scene so should he be convicted of leaving the scene? This argument will fail because the Judge will be upset that he left the scene and therefore it would be legally correct to toss the charges for DUI (although the judge may not have the fortitude to do this). The judge will not reward that behavior and encourage others, so he will be convicted of leaving the scene, even though he returned. So what does this mean for Bernhard?
- DUI Charge – Luckily for Bernhard, nobody was injured as a result of the fact that he was driving under the influence. The only damage was done to the building and Bernhard’s car, otherwise he would be suffering much worse consequences. As it stands, if this is his first offense, he could receive 2 months up to 1 year of imprisonment and a fine if convicted. There will also be license consequences from the MVA since he is minor.
- Leaving the scene – On top of his DUI charge, Bernhard could be facing another 2 months in jail, 8 points and a $500 fine, on top of the property damage that he or his insurance will have to compensate the company for. Judges can run sentences concurrent, ie. at the same time, or consecutive, one after the other, or they can suspend all the time if they so desire.
Maryland Accident Attorney
Bernhard was lucky that no one was injured due to his reckless driving. All too many times we see people in our office that have been victims of someone who got behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol. If you or a loved one was involved in an accident where the driver at fault was determined to be under the influence, you need to seek aggressive counsel from a Maryland accident attorney. A consultation with Bruce Robinson & Associates is free and if we can help you, it will be handled on a contingency fee basis, which means no out of pocket expense or cost to you. For a free consultation with our car accident lawyers, contact Robinson & Associates at 410.415.3841 or click http://www.marylandaccidentattorney.com/blog/today for your free consultation. We look forward to helping you.
Source: CBS Baltimore